Sunday, February 26, 2012

Not much to say... but in a good way!

This website shows an inside look to how crazy some cyclist can get! Many cyclists feel that an image must be upheld while on a bike, and while I somewhat agree, sometimes I like wearing zany socks that don't match my kit.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Anyway, this particular blog post got my particular mind in quite the whirlwind before my ride this afternoon. More specifically, the particular number six (which is also my favorite number) sparked the windy-whirl in my head.

Rule #6 // Free your mind and your legs will follow.

Your mind is your worst enemy. Do all your thinking before you start riding your bike. Once the pedals start to turn, wrap yourself in the sensations of the ride – the smell of the air, the sound of the tires, the feeling of flight as the bicycle rolls over the road.



Why is it that I ride? What enjoyment do I get from spinning 110 rotations per minute across terrible backroads for hours at a time? I think it's the escape from my real life. Homework, clubs, jobs, bills, parking tickets, grocery shopping, bad dreams, good dreams, pink eye, muscle soreness; when I'm on a bike, those things don't matter. All that matters is the smell of cows' waste in the pastures, climbing up that next hill, and knowing there are more exhausting hills coming soon.

Cycling is a one-[wo]man game. It's about pushing yourself and knowing that you can always go a little harder.





No comments: