Thursday, February 24, 2011

This is why I ride.

On Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011, Kelsey Holder arrived at her apartment after a sunny afternoon on the track. Soreness from workouts shot through her muscles, and she knew a nap was necessary before any Thursday night adventures would occur. She awoke around 8:00 p.m. to a text from a friend. Standing, her brain exploded into vibrations that only come from the loudest of concerts. She shivered and goosebumps lined her arms. She stumbled. Was she dying? No!


A thermometer two minutes later told her she was ill. The flu. 102 degrees Fahrenheit.


A week of sleep followed.


Today, one week later, I stepped back onto the track. Stress lifted from my shoulders, and I felt free. Relief, calm, contentment. Whatever a day or week brings, a bicycle always makes it better.
This is why I ride.

No comments: